Membership at a Glance
|Satellite Jr. Tour events
|Late entry for satellite events
|Entry fees for Championship events vary
|*There are no refunds for membership
- Eligibility for all SCSPGA regular Junior Tour events and qualifiers
- Membership Gift TBD
- USGA handicap (13-18 year olds)
- 2012-2015 USGA Rules of Golf book (13-18 year olds, new members) or Snoopy Rules of Golf (7-12 year olds, new members)
- Awards for top competitors in each event
About the Junior Tour
Below you'll find the basic information you need to know about the Junior Tour. For complete information, read the Member Player Guide and visit the FAQ page.
What is the Sun Country PGA Junior Tour?
The Junior Tour is a recreational golf tour for junior golfers age 7-18. Courses throughout New Mexico and El Paso, TX, will host a series of approximately 25-30 tournaments during the months of May through August for the summer series. The summer series includes end of the season championships for 10-18 year olds based on a season long points system and 7-9 year olds based on participation.
The Junior Tour is not intended for juniors who are seeking lessons. It is a recreational tournament series. Members must have sufficient ability and knowledge of the rules to participate at the tournament level. However, they do not have to be "elite" players. Any junior who plays recreational golf can join the Tour!
Who can join the Tour?
Anyone may belong to the SCSPGA Junior Tour, provided they are between the ages of 7 and 18 as of August 17, 2016 (for the summer series) and have not attended a semester of college.
- Have sufficient ability and knowledge of the rules to participate at the tournament level
- Conduct themselves with proper etiquette at all times
- Be willing and able to participate in tournaments without seeking advice from anyone other than a Sun Country certified caddie.
- "Advice" is any counsel or suggestion that could influence a player in determining his/her play, the choice of club or the method of making a stroke. Examples include: "I think you should hit a 7 iron here", "Take an unplayable lie" and "Keep your head down."
- The giving or accepting of advice may result in penalty/disqualification for the competitor
- Show respect for all course and PGA officials at all times
- Follow the USGA Rules of Golf
How much does it cost?
- Membership in the Sun Country Junior Tour is $40.
- Each satellite tournament costs $30. Lunch is included for most tournaments. Check the tournament schedule.
- Prices for Majors/Qualifiers will vary.
- YOU CAN PLAY IN AS MANY OR AS FEW TOURNAMENTS AS YOU WISH.
What are the benefits?
- Eligibility for all SCSPGA regular Junior Tour events and qualifiers.
- Golf related gift item.
- USGA handicap (13-18 year olds).
- 2012-2015 Rules of Golf book (13-18 year old new members) or Snoopy Rules of Golf (7-12 year old new members).
- Awards for top competitors in each event.
How are the Juniors grouped in tournaments?
First, by age division:
Then, by skill level:
Juniors will be paired based on their handicaps (or scoring average, until handicap is established). Note: If your handicap is out of date, it is your responsibility to post new scores before Junior Tour tournaments begin. Otherwise, you will be paired based off of your old handicap index.
What about awards?
Awards will be presented at the conclusion of each tournament for 1st-3rd places in each gender and age division. First place ties are decided by a sudden death playoff. Second and third place ties will be decided by a scorecard playoff. There are no duplicate awards for ties.
Additional awards will be given out for Junior Player of the Year (boys & girls 10-12, 13-15, 16-18). Juniors who place 1st-70th will receive Player of the Year points. See the Member Player Guide for more information.
Spectators are allowed at most, but not all, tournaments. Check the tournament schedule to find out if the courses your junior will play allow spectators.
Spectators must keep 25 yards away from the players and not offer any advice. They may search for lost balls as long as no advice is given. Spectators are permitted to carry food, beverages, umbrellas and jackets for the players. They may not carry the player's golf bag.
The Sun Country Section PGA reserves the right to ban any spectator or spectators from one or more events.
Spectators must follow the same code of conduct, dress code and etiquette as the players. Violation of the code of conduct may subject the junior to any of the following penalties:
- Disqualification from the tournament where the violation occurs.
- Issuance of a written letter of warning to the player and his/her parent/guardian.
- Suspension the player for the remainder of the season.
- Suspension the player’s membership indefinitely.
For more information, see the FAQ section